Experience. Results. Peace.
Erica Giovanni Baez
- Attorney & Mediator
- Family Law
Erica Giovanni Baez focuses her practice on family law. Erica understands the difficult emotional, spiritual, and financial challenges presented by divorce and other domestic relations matters. She offers exceptional communication and compassionate counsel to her clients as they navigate some of life's most difficult and personal challenges. She has vast experience handling divorce, custody and visitation, relocation, and child support cases. As a certified Guardian Ad Litem for children, Erica works diligently to help her clients fight for their children's best interests. She regularly appears before the judges throughout Richmond, Chesterfield, Henrico, Hanover, and the Tidewater area.
Erica is licensed to practice law in both Virginia and Florida. She has been recognized by Virginia Business magazine's Legal Elite in the area of Family Law/Domestic Relations, and a named a Rising Star by Virginia Super Lawyers. She is the Immediate Past President of the Chesterfield Bar Association. She previously served on the Board of Directors and as the inaugural Chairwoman of the Women's Business Council of the Chesterfield Chamber of Commerce.
Erica began her legal career as law clerk to the Honorable Harold W. Burgess, Jr. of the Twelfth Judicial Circuit of Virginia in 2010. She earned her Juris Doctorate from the University of Richmond School of Law, graduating with honors in 2010. Since then, she has emersed herself solely in the practice of family law. Erica is also trained through Ambassadors of Reconciliation in both faith-based conflict coaching and mediation.
During law school, Erica served as president of the Trial Advocacy Board and as a senior staff member of the University of Richmond Law Review. Erica was an active member of the Moot Court Board and Student Bar Association. She was honored with the "Virginia Trial Lawyers Advocacy Award," an award presented each year to the graduate who most notably excelled at trial competitions. Erica also graduated from Furman University with honors in 2007, where she studied political science, communications, and theatre.
Erica grew up in a family business, an oceanfront motel in Ormond Beach, Florida. The motel was owned and operated by her parents for thirty years. Erica worked there as a housekeeper, front desk clerk, bookkeeper, and even an entertainer during poolside concerts or at Bingo night. While Erica certainly misses the beach, she loves Virginia's scenic outdoors. She is an avid traveler. She has spent significant time in Southeast Asia and South Africa.
Erica is a competitive ballroom dancer and has taught dance lessons and dance exercise. She is involved in the Richmond fine arts community, and you will occasionally see her performing in musicals and plays. She and her husband, Jesse Baez, also a local trial attorney, and their very busy toddler reside in Chesterfield and attend Crestwood Church.
- University of Richmond, School of Law, Richmond, Virginia
- Juris Doctorate – 2010
- Honors: With Honors
- Honors: President of the Trial Advocacy Board
- Honors: Active Member of the Moot Court Board and Student Bar Association
- Honors: Virginia Trial Lawyers Advocacy Award
- Law Review: University of Richmond Law Review, Senior Staff Member
- Furman University
- Honors: With Honors
- Major: Political Science, Communications, and Theatre
- Board of Directors to the Chesterfield Chamber of Commerce
- Inaugural Chairwoman of the Women’s Business Council of the Chesterfield Chamber
- Chesterfield Bar Association, President
- Chesterfield Chamber of Commerce, Board Member
- Metro Richmond Family Law Bar Association
- Metro Richmond Women’s Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar
- Florida State Bar
- Honorable Harold W. Burgess, Jr. of the Twelfth Judicial Circuit of Virginia, Law Clerk, 2010
- Owen & Owens PLC, 2012-2019; Hatcher & Baez PLC 2019-2022
- Recognized by Virginia Business magazine’s Legal Elite in the area of Family Law/Domestic Relations
- Rising Star by Virginia Super Lawyers